Telefang/Smilesoft @ Reddit?

Have ideas on how to make the boards better? Post them here!
CLANDCORP(imported)

Re: Telefang/Smilesoft @ Reddit?

Post by CLANDCORP(imported) »

Have anyone considered making a /r/telefang on Reddit? I think Telefang would reach out to a lot of new people if we did. =)
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

There's a board, there's a wiki, there's an IRC channel.
What purpose would a subreddit serve?
Dipsacus(imported)

Post by Dipsacus(imported) »

Presence on Reddit, obviously. You could even just redirect it to the forum.
Jdbye(imported)

Post by Jdbye(imported) »

I don't use Reddit, but I think it sounds like a good idea.
The existing fan base is really small, and Reddit is huge, so it might be a good way for the series to get more exposure.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

I'm a little confused. If you make the subreddit redirect, what's the point? So you could link to it? Why not link to the forum directly?
Dipsacus(imported)

Jdbye wrote:I don't use Reddit, but I think it sounds like a good idea.
The existing fan base is really small, and Reddit is huge, so it might be a good way for the series to get more exposure.
And the first thing I thought of was to upvote this post. But then I remembered there aren't upvotes and downvotes here.
Sanky wrote:I'm a little confused. If you make the subreddit redirect, what's the point? So you could link to it? Why not link to the forum directly?
It's sort of a gateway. For people who are already on Reddit but don't want to sign up for a new forum right away, the subreddit might be a place for them to start out. And yeah, I don't think you can make it redirect directly, but definitely put a link in the sidebar.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Dipsacus wrote:
Sanky wrote:I'm a little confused. If you make the subreddit redirect, what's the point? So you could link to it? Why not link to the forum directly?
It's sort of a gateway. For people who are already on Reddit but don't want to sign up for a new forum right away, the subreddit might be a place for them to start out. And yeah, I don't think you can make it redirect directly, but definitely put a link in the sidebar.
Start out? If you want to learn about something new, the best start is a knowledge base (wiki), not a community. If they're not willing to register, there's always the IRC channel. Otherwise they're probably not interested in the community anyway.
And I don't believe we need a two-step gateway. If this forum isn't very alive to begin with, would the subreddit have a reason to be active? Reddit in particular doesn't seem like a good choice for a small community to me - it values content much higher than users, which is good when there are thousands of them, but there's tens active here at best.

I might be missing a point here, though.
Dipsacus(imported)

Okay, forget what I said about redirecting it to the forum; that's not important at all, and I worded it badly.
Sanky wrote:Start out? If you want to learn about something new, the best start is a knowledge base (wiki), not a community. If they're not willing to register, there's always the IRC channel. Otherwise they're probably not interested in the community anyway.
It's for the people who get interested in the community from Reddit but can't be arsed to access either of those two things just to get involved. I agree that if we can't have some other hook on Reddit to make the subreddit known to people in the first place, then it might be useless. But for people who are coming from Reddit, they'll be more comfortable staying on the same website first before making another move to the forum.
wrote:And I don't believe we need a two-step gateway. If this forum isn't very alive to begin with, would the subreddit have a reason to be active? Reddit in particular doesn't seem like a good choice for a small community to me - it values content much higher than users, which is good when there are thousands of them, but there's tens active here at best.
The subreddit might get active independently of the forum, though. Remember that /r/telefang doesn't have to specifically be a part of Tulunk Village / Wikifang overall, just like /r/pokemon isn't a part of Bulbagarden or Serebii.

And yes, Reddit values content more than users, but really, content is what would drive people to the community anyway, so we might as well get working on fixing that.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Dipsacus wrote:The subreddit might get active independently of the forum, though. Remember that /r/telefang doesn't have to specifically be a part of Tulunk Village / Wikifang overall, just like /r/pokemon isn't a part of Bulbagarden or Serebii.
The main problem with that is, Pokémon has an enormous fanbase, way more than enough to be split into hundreds of communities. The Telefang fanbase, on the other hand, consists of... us. :< I haven't even found any Japanese communities, though there are a couple of infodump personal fansites.
Dipsacus(imported)

RacieB wrote:
Dipsacus wrote:The subreddit might get active independently of the forum, though. Remember that /r/telefang doesn't have to specifically be a part of Tulunk Village / Wikifang overall, just like /r/pokemon isn't a part of Bulbagarden or Serebii.
The main problem with that is, Pokémon has an enormous fanbase, way more than enough to be split into hundreds of communities. The Telefang fanbase, on the other hand, consists of... us. :< I haven't even found any Japanese communities, though there are a couple of infodump personal fansites.
What I'm saying is, a subreddit might be a step towards creating a larger fanbase beyond just us, even if it's just a second small place that we all know about anyway.