Telefang.net: open links in new tabs or not?

Have ideas on how to make the boards better? Post them here!
DaVince

Re: Telefang.net: open links in new tabs or not?

Post by DaVince »

As you might know, the main hub for accessing Telefang-related things is Telefang.net.

When I coded the page, I made it so that (almost) all the links open in a new tab. I did this so that Telefang.net will still stay open in the background. But now I have a question:
Do people actually like this? Or would you prefer to just navigate to a page in the same tab instead?

This is why I made this poll; to see whether I should change the default behavior of the main site.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

After some discussion in the IRC the idea to have a little header bar at the top of every related site came up. This little bar would provide easy navigation between the Telefang sites. This would ensure that we no longer need to open things in new tabs, too, and makes all of the sites more visible and accessible!
Sherkel(imported)

Post by Sherkel(imported) »

If this is still under consideration, I'd like to voice some support for opening them in the same tab. Most sites work like that, after all, and it would be an inconvenience to have every next page open in a new tab when it doesn't happen on other sites, especially considering browsers generally have a setting for opening all links in new tabs. If I ever want to add another tab to the current pile I just right-click on whatever it is I want to open in one and select the option, and I can't imagine many users do differently.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

It is most certainly still under consideration! And yeah, that's a thought I had been having too. Thing is, the Telefang.net front page isn't like most websites where it just goes to a subpage of the same site. Rather, it links to a bunch of different sites, all sporting a different design. It's a main hub to get to other places, and so having the main hub still open seemed useful.

That said, I got annoyed with it myself too. In the end, I just want to change things all across the board now so that every single one of those separate sites will have a header bar at the very top with all of those main links from the hub. That way, it's easy to navigate anywhere and the open-in-new-tab functionality will no longer be necessary.

I'm working on that soon. Also, I'm closing the poll as some talk with some of the members had resulted in the above alternative idea anyway. =)

Edit: I can't close the poll myself, but consider it basically 'okay I got my answer and am no longer checking the results now'. If anyone objects with the above idea or has input on it, please let me know.