Power Version Menu Translation Attempt

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Milnivri(imported)

Re: Power Version Menu Translation Attempt

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

andwhyisit wrote:And please inform me of any name changes in the wiki.
You can check the Translation topic in the Telefang 1 section for updated names.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

andwhyisit wrote:I know Ornithogalum is a plant but can we call it Ornith? The plant reference is still there plus it is easier to remember and also easier on the tongue.
Well, you could shorten it to Ornith...If you don't mind your patch being wrong. :/ There's nothing stopping you from using bootleg names for everyone in it if you like, but it kind of ruins the point of making a translation patch. Don't you think?

That's just my opinion though. XD
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

I guess Ornithogalum is better than Abakudabaran, I'll test it when I get back.
Zephyr(imported)

Post by Zephyr(imported) »

DeKaFu wrote: Well, you could shorten it to Ornith...If you don't mind your patch being wrong. :/ There's nothing stopping you from using bootleg names for everyone in it if you like, but it kind of ruins the point of making a translation patch. Don't you think?
*Chipping in*

You do know, though, that we and we alone hold the power to define what is the right translation and what is wrong? Since there won't be an official english Telefang game released any time soon, it's all up to the fans to decide for themselves. So should we choose that Ornith is a good translation, if not direct, then there's not really much argument people can raise against it.

So. Name it something that fits, and is less clunky to say! No reason to torture ourselves and our fellow fans just for the sake of making it perfect.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

DeKaFu wrote:
andwhyisit wrote:I know Ornithogalum is a plant but can we call it Ornith? The plant reference is still there plus it is easier to remember and also easier on the tongue.
Well, you could shorten it to Ornith...If you don't mind your patch being wrong. :/ There's nothing stopping you from using bootleg names for everyone in it if you like, but it kind of ruins the point of making a translation patch. Don't you think?

That's just my opinion though. XD
My suggestion in calling it Ornith had nothing to do with it being the bootleg name.
I only just noticed that Ornith was the bootleg name just a few minutes ago btw. :lol:

There is nothing wrong with using the name Ornith.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

:/...

Well, we have the right to choose what to call it, but translating isn't the same as localizing. Localizing is making English names, translating is converting the Japanese to English. I'm working on translating it, but I guess it's up to you if you want to make stuff up...

It's just that I've come from the Japanese Digimon fandom, and there they always try to use the correct translations. Also, there's a few misspelled names in Digimon that went into wide use before people realised they were wrong, so there was no way to fix them everywhere. I just kind of wanted to protect Telefang from that kind of fate... :(

You can use whatever you want in the patch, but I'll keep trying to translate accurately for the translation topic and wiki.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Personally, I think Ornithogalum sounds a lot cooler.... I'm probably totally alone on that, though...>_>

It's still kind of saddening that, even though we have the source material to base the names off, we're inventing different stuff to call them just because we can...): I mean, can't we at least try the original names for a while...? ;-;

Besides, Ornith makes me think very specifically of birds. D: Which, really, Ornithogalum the Denjuu has nothing to do with...
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

DeKaFu wrote::/...

Well, we have the right to choose what to call it, but translating isn't the same as localizing. Localizing is making English names, translating is converting the Japanese to English. I'm working on translating it, but I guess it's up to you if you want to make stuff up...

It's just that I've come from the Japanese Digimon fandom, and there they always try to use the correct translations. Also, there's a few misspelled names in Digimon that went into wide use before people realised they were wrong, so there was no way to fix them everywhere. I just kind of wanted to protect Telefang from that kind of fate... :(

You can use whatever you want in the patch, but I'll keep trying to translate accurately for the translation topic and wiki.
I understand that but you must also understand that Ornith is not incorrect nor a made up name but a shortening of a name.
Kimbles wrote:Personally, I think Ornithogalum sounds a lot cooler.... I'm probably totally alone on that, though...>_>

It's still kind of saddening that, even though we have the source material to base the names off, we're inventing different stuff to call them just because we can...): I mean, can't we at least try the original names for a while...? ;-;

Besides, Ornith makes me think very specifically of birds. D: Which, really, Ornithogalum the Denjuu has nothing to do with...
As DeKaFu (I think it was DeKaFu) said before, it is not about what sounds cool. And to make the same argument back at you I could say that the name "Ornithogalum" reminds me of a plant rather than a spider. :lol:

Besides I am not making up names, my reason is that no-one will remember the name "Ornithogalum" and start calling it Ornith anyway. I am pretty much copying and pasting the word "Ornithogalum" for my posts instead of typing it out, its that bad. "Kryptoknight" is easy to remember, "Ornithogalum" is not.

But if you both are serious about me naming it (copy and paste) "Ornithogalum" then I will do so, but I doubt it will be necessary since most people know a shortened name when they see it.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Well, whether or not a name is easier to remember is entirely subjective. To use Pokemon as an example, Ornithogalum no worse than Kangaskhan or Feraligatr. :/

Shortening a name is changing it, no matter how you look at it. XD If English Pokemon had called Pikachu "Pik" because they figured it was easier to remember, it wouldn't have been the same, would it? But it's just a shortening of the name. :P

But, like I said, it's your patch, and you can do what you like with it. I'll try to keep the correct names on the wiki. It just means there will be three names to memorize for some Denjuu instead of two. :/
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

DeKaFu wrote: Well, whether or not a name is easier to remember is entirely subjective. To use Pokemon as an example, Ornithogalum no worse than Kangaskhan or Feraligatr. :/

Shortening a name is changing it, no matter how you look at it. XD If English Pokemon had called Pikachu "Pik" because they figured it was easier to remember, it wouldn't have been the same, would it? But it's just a shortening of the name. :P

But, like I said, it's your patch, and you can do what you like with it. I'll try to keep the correct names on the wiki. It just means there will be three names to memorize for some Denjuu instead of two. :/
Don't you mean five. :lol:

BTW:
Feral + Aligator = Feraligator
Kangaroo + Ghengis Khan = Kangaskhan

Duh!

P.S. I really do not like how you instantly write "Ornith" off as a "made-up name", it is a pet hate of mine at the moment.