Re: Before you talk to Musa in the house...

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Well I hacked the map for the starting position by replacing it with acres of another map (as in through the tutorial some time ago, not sure how to say it). So after everyone seemingly enters the house (there was no house there, the shops at the wrong place), you are free to move around - without a sprite!

Here's some screenshots:
Image Image

So several conclusions can be made here -
  • The sprites are just replaced with blank ones (or hidden)
  • Warp data is dependant on acre tile, not on the map position
  • You can move!
But why is it that it depends on warps? Doesn't Matsukiyo enter last, and would warp Shigeki into the house first, before you can see Matsukiyo enter the house? Unless it's not a warp. But what is it then, and why does it depend on what map it is?

And you actually have Crypto already - you can battle other Denjuu in the wild with Crypto already! I wonder what the giving of phone number actually does..

You also have your map already, can press Start.

Also, in the actual Toronko Village map without the hacking, the Punica that's supposed to be at the top next to the antenna tree entrance isn't there at the start, but is there after you exit the house (as normal).

Also, in that hacked map, Mr Nerikara was supposed to be in the bottom left hand corner. But he isn't there now!

Another time, when I accessed this hacked map (as in halfway through the game), Mr Nerikara was there as normal, (which shows that sprite data is linked to acre/map data?), but when I tried to talk to him, I couldn't! I just kept pressing A and nothing happened. But why is the event data (if this is as with Pokemon) or the script data apart from the sprite data? Interesting.

And in the third acre of the Toronko Village map (the acre with the shop), the Punica and the man, who are supposed to have light green in one of their palettes, actually used dark green instead! But after I viewed the map and closed it again, the palette changed back to normal.

Another thing: the Punica that you face after returning from the water station actually is on the bridge at this point of time! But why?

Other than all of the above, there seems to be nothing more interesting. But there's endless things to check, but this is enough to find out more information. :D
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Ha ha... I actually knew about half of this, but I forgot to mention it. It's weird how Shigeki is invisible, and that you already have Crypto or Fungus. Also, note that normally, you don't see Crypto or Fungus until you get his number, so I guess this was shortcut programming to make it look like you don't have him yet.

And yes, it's true that warps depend on the acre tile, not the location. That means that if you use the same acre twice, you'll have the same warps. I posted information about warp data in Data Crystal -- it's a 7-byte format, and always comes after the map data.

Maybe I should try to put a door in the proper place (I figured out how to edit the contents of an acre other than sprites a long time ago, which I also posted in Data Crystal). Maybe if I do that, you can actually enter the house and that Shigeki can be VISIBLE!

The Nerikara thing is weird though. Why would he disappear? I'm guessing that when you go to this hacked map, it throws the game off and screws up the flags. I've screwed around with map hacking and it causes all sorts of weird stuff. Once I hacked it so that it had the acre where Sanaeba is supposed to appear, but he didn't show up for some reason.

And I did notice that Punica appeared on the bridge, which was very odd. My guess is that Punica appears there by default, but when you talk to Musa at the very beginning, there's some flag that makes him disappear. And when you beat Nejiro, it makes him reappear. And then beating Punica makes him disappear forever.

As for the green Punica not appearing next to the gate, note that when you start a new game normally, he never shows up until you exit Musa's house. I'm guessing there's a flag that makes him appear when you exit a door.

And as for the dark green sprites, I have absolutely no explanation for that. And I have no explanation for not being able to talk to Nerikara when you press A.

All of this is weird...