Denjuu Encounter data is difficult to hack...

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Milnivri(imported)

Re: Denjuu Encounter data is difficult to hack...

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Okay, some of the world map's Denjuu encounter data is done: link

I can't do the rest since I haven't finished the game (unfortunately). Well I don't feel like going into the mountain caves again, going through it once was hard enough >_>

EDIT: And here's the data for each group i.e. the Denjuu that appear in each group: link

Useful for the wiki but then dunno how to implement it...
Milnivri(imported)

I really hate to double post, but I think no one saw the second link in the above post... I see 0 downloads in mediafire.

And why has Tulunk Village suddenly turned quiet? Is there no more curry? Oh no!
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I saw it, but I've been so busy in the past week that I didn't have time to check it. I had to deal with finals in college, so I really didn't have time to do anything else. I'll have a little more time now, but until the end of Thursday, I'll still be a little bit busy.

I checked it out and it's nice so far. But a few things though. First, what do the blanks mean? Does that mean you haven't checked those yet? Second, I don't recall ever finding any Denjuu in the first two (or three?) acres in Toronko Village. Third, what's the difference between the first and second files? And finally, did you by any chance find the offsets for all of these?
Milnivri(imported)

The second file is the list of Denjuu in each acre group. It's basically a dump of all the Denjuu encounter data. I was referring to that file, not the previous file you are referring to.

Yea, the blanks is those I haven't checked, most probably cos I'm lazy to complete the game further (or just go into the caves to go to the upper levels)

And about not finding any Denjuu in the first few acres of Toronko Village - but I can find them, in both Bootleg and Japanese versions.

And by offsets you mean for each acre group? It's kinda simple actually, just from the starting offset + (5*group number) to get the offset. But in hex.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Yeah, I've seen Denjuu there in Toronko as well....*nod*

I think you made both links to the same file? XD
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

You sure you can find Denjuu even in the starting acre, and the one to the left? I gotta check that...

And yeah, both of the files look the same to me. I don't see the list of Denjuu in either file...
Milnivri(imported)

Oh whoops. No wonder. D:

Haha ok here's the link: link

Updated original post too.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

AHA! So that's why sometimes I don't find any Denjuu. There are some acres where you can only find them in grass (or water)! I always thought that Denjuu can always be found outside of grass. I always thought the sole purpose of grass is just to get money and hearts *coughzeldacough*, but I guess I'm wrong. Hmmm... another way this game is like Pokémon...

By the way, I noticed the Denjuu you posted in your second Word file are based off of Power Version. In Speed Version, some of them are obviously different, so I'm going to extract that data.

Besides that, my next mission is to figure out how to modify the acres so that you can change them to different groups. Hopefully it won't be too hard... and my side-mission is to add grass (or water) in those "X" areas to see if there are any Denjuu that appear there. (For example, there is no grass in some parts of Freesia; maybe that's why there are no Denjuu there.) And if they do, I'll make a note of which Denjuu appear there...

EDIT: I think I found it! Well, I think I found the bottom-right quadrant of the overworld, anyway (remember, the overworld map is really four smaller maps put together). From offset 0x3E547-0x3E586, the hex string is like this:

Code: Select all

1A 15 14 14 14 14 00 06 
1A 0F 00 13 13 13 07 06 
1A 10 0D 13 13 06 07 06 
1A 0F 0D 13 13 07 06 0C 
0F 0F 0E 13 11 12 08 0C 
10 0F 0D 11 08 09 0A 00 
0F 10 0E 12 0A 08 09 00 
0F 0E 0D 11 09 0A 08 0B
Now, look at the bottom-right quadrant of the first Word file. See a pattern? I sure do! Also, note that the first group starts at 0, not 1. I guess the lack of grass really IS the reason for the lack of Denjuu in some locations. That means those X's really don't exist. Now the other three quadrants, as well as the dungeons, shouldn't be too hard to find now... ha ha ha...

Now I'm going to mess with these values to see if I really did find it...

EDIT: I did indeed find the right spot! YES! Also, I added grass to one of the "X" acres, and I found Denjuu when I stepped in the grass...

I have also discovered other locations... here are offsets for the ones I found:

0x03E487-0x03E4C6 = Overworld map (Top left quadrant)
0x03E4C7-0x03E506 = Overworld map (Top right quadrant)
0x03E507-0x03E546 = Overworld map (Bottom left quadrant)
0x03E547-0x03E586 = Overworld map (Bottom right quadrant)
0x03E687-0x03E6C6 = Toronko Village Water Station

I wouldn't be surprised if the order of the game's locations here in the order of the locations by index number. Because so far, it is...
Milnivri(imported)

Wow! Nice!

So you mean even the antenna tree acres have wild Denjuu? :P
I remember the antenna tree acre for Palm Sea (if I remember correctly) didn't behave correctly. The water didn't splash when you walked on it, and behaviour data should be linked to tiles (or at least blocks, in AdvanceMap language). Is that somehow linked to wild Denjuu not appearing there (since it's not real water?)

By the way, did you have any chance of finding the data for changing whether you find wild Denjuu in grass/both out of grass and in? Take Toronko Village for example, and compare to another location (most acres use the latter). This data is apart from the group number since group 1 Denjuu at the 4th acre of Toronko Village can be found out of grass too.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, antenna trees probably do have wild Denjuu (I still need to check this though).

As for the water thing, I know that antenna trees have a different tileset from the rest of the overworld. Maybe they weren't careful about the splashing or wild Denjuu. On a side note, NONE of the antenna trees have grass. I don't think they ever intended this, because once I added grass to an antenna tree, and when I ran through it, it turned to water. Weird.

And no, I haven't figured out where the data that makes acres have Denjuu in only grass/water or Denjuu everywhere is. I still need to work on that.