Re: TelefangEdit

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

TelefangEdit

I've created a Visual Basic program that allows you to easily edit text in Telefang 1 ROMs. Currently it can edit Denjuu names, human names and move names. I was going about to item names, but no time. See features for full list.

Remember to backup your ROM!

So that's for the introduction...

Alpha 2 (version 0.1.0.1)
Alpha 1

Features:
  • Edits Telefang 1 Bootleg ROMs
  • Denjuu Name Edit
  • Move Name Edit
  • Human Name Edit
  • NEW! Item Name Edit
  • NEW! "Arrived" Text Edit
  • NEW! "Attack!" Text Edit
  • Check out the program itself...
To-Do:
  • Allow Japanese input/output
  • More support for Japanese Telefang 1 ROMs
  • Support for Telefang 2 ROMs
  • Dialogue Edit (human-human & denjuu-human)
  • Done Item Name Edit
  • more...?
Change Log:
14 June 08: Alpha 2
  • Fixed several bugs in saving
  • Added Item Name Edit feature
  • Added "Arrived" Text Edit feature
  • Added "Attack!" Text Edit feature
13 June 08: Alpha 1
  • Released first version of TelefangEdit
  • Edits Telefang 1 ROMs (Bootleg)
  • Denjuu Name Edit
  • Move Name Edit
  • Human Name Edit
Bugs:
Report any bugs and I'll put it here.

Download:
Here (Alpha 2)
Source Code (VB6)
Source code will be available at Beta. It's too screwed up at the moment. :/
Old versions
Alpha 1

Yay!
Lolz one day after next version released.
P.S. I forgot to submit the post xD
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

For the Japanese roms:
http://www.mediafire.com/?90mzj2zr21m

Where are the human names usually located?

After you get it working with the Japanese roms then I'll give you the name input button associations.
Milnivri(imported)

Yes I sorta know the thing for the Japanese ROMs. It's just that VB has some problem displaying unicode, so I can't put the thingys in Japanese.

And the human names are found at offset 001D4578, just after the Denjuu names.

EDIT: Alpha 2 released! xDD
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

This is awesome... I'm going to try it out later today!
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Milnivri wrote: And the human names are found at offset 001D4578, just after the Denjuu names.
Cool maybe the preset name (default main character name) is in there somewhere. :D
Milnivri(imported)

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I'm busy. Anyway I'm stuck trying to figure out the Japanese problem. So it'll be a while before I update.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I noticed that some of the letters are randomly lowercase while others are uppercase. It is possible to implement unicode in it? Maybe put a keyboard where you can click the Japanese characters and then you can type them that way?
Milnivri(imported)

Blaziken257 wrote:I noticed that some of the letters are randomly lowercase while others are uppercase. It is possible to implement unicode in it? Maybe put a keyboard where you can click the Japanese characters and then you can type them that way?
I've been doing the keyboard thing so far, and displaying each character as an image (like in ROMs xD), but there's some problems. And yes, it's possible to implement, but I just don't know how. I've tried stuff but they all don't work. Oh well.

And about the random lowercase/uppercase, it's on purpose. See:

ファンガス - Fungus
フ -> pronounced "fu"
ァ -> used to change the previous character, such that "fu" becomes "fa"

The rest no need to explain. Anyway I decided not to change some coding such that it displays "Fa" correctly is because I was going to do something else anyway, and also when you do it that way there might be problems.

But anyway I have to finish my holiday homework... xDD >_>;;
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Hm, for the japanese issue with VB... There's a Microsoft program called AppLocale that lets non-unicode programs show foreign language text without garbling it. You point it to the exe you want it to open, set the language to japanese (it's the last on on the list), and it should work fine... It also lets you make a seperate shortcut so you don't need to do it every time. :D (It puts it in the AppLocale start menu folder.)
You can also set your whole computer to show japanese properly in the control panel, regional and language options, advanced tab, but that requires a restart to turn on or off and makes the fonts weird for a lot of english programs, so AppLocale is probably best for this. *nod* Hope that helps. D:

This is looking like a pretty stylish program so far, and I'm really looking forward to it being finished. XD The only thing I see being a problem is that there really isn't enough space in the arrived and attack text editors to see the whole line... Also, all of the roms I've found for Telefang have been .gbc rather than .gb, so I'm wondering if that might be the better default filetype for it to search for, unless you can have it search for both. *nod* Good luck! XD
Milnivri(imported)

Firstly, I wasn't planning to finish this any more, going to make a new program just to edit the denjuu stuff alone (shh secret eheheh).

And I have a .gb rom for diamond, by the way. It came from a Pokemon CD xDD

Anyway thanks for the tips. =)