Re: Telefang 1 english logo

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote:I know the line sounds weird, which is why I didn't add it in yet. ^^;

Anyway, I think the keitai denwa pun is probably where they got their name in the first place, but I don't think it's what they would have been named for in-universe... XD Denjuu on it's own just means electric+monster, and if they really wanted to make a clear connection to denwa/phone, Matsukiyo could have just called them Keitai Denjuu at some point in the script... *shrug*

Personally, I've always seen Denjuu as being fundamentally electric somehow, what with them being from another dimension and all...XD So the reason they can use crazy attacks like Denma stuff is because they can generate electricity inside their bodies at will, or something like that. XD Either way, in-univese it doesn't make much sense for them to be called phone monsters, partly because Keitai Denjuu is such a silly name that it seems unlikely, and also because they never would have used cellphones before they had contact with humans...XD *shrug*
Well I'm sorry but I very much disagree with you in that regard. Furthermore I see the act of explaining the name to be unnecessary, as well as out of place and rather obvious. Did pokemon ever claim the name was an abbreviation of "pocket monsters" in-game? Of course it didn't. Why? Because there was no point. It added nothing to the game nor did it's absence take anything away. How is Telefang any different in this regard?
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Well, whether or not it was used in the game, the fact that Pokemon comes from Pocket Monsters still ended up as common knowledge around the time the anime came out... Telefang's translation is going to be about a million times lesser-known, so the in-game text is by far the most reliable way we have of spreading the name origin around. :/ It's just a matter of presenting the same amount of information that's immediately clear for japanese players... *nod* People are still going to be curious what Denjuu comes from, especially since it's a weirder-looking word than Pokemon, with two u's...XD

Besides, Denjuu is as much of a description as it is a name, similar to "pocket monsters". If it really was a made-up name, or a contraction like "Pokemon", I'd agree with you, but it's written in kanji and has an actual meaning...XD Even though a lot of things do it, I personally don't like the idea of leaving random terms untranslated in a translation meant for english speakers, so I'd prefer if we at least mentioned it somewhere... *shrug*
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote:Even though a lot of things do it, I personally don't like the idea of leaving random terms untranslated in a translation meant for english speakers, so I'd prefer if we at least mentioned it somewhere... *shrug*
Translation notes? *shrug*
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

I'd say that a single one-off mention is functionally equivilant to a translation note, while coming off as a heck of a lot more professional. *shrug*

Also I wanted to comment that I liked the earlier, more uneven logos better, but I can tell when I'm outvoted... :P
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

*sigh*

Try this then:
It's a world hidden behind a curtain of darkness, full of living creatures... the electric monsters known as "Denjuu". I'd like to become friends with as many Denjuu as possible!

Don't get me wrong, I am still against this, and I still think that "electric monsters" is incorrect, but I sense a losing battle here and if you are going to do it regardless then I'd prefer something more natural sounding than 'living creatures known as "Denjuu", electric monsters'. No offense.
Diamond(imported)

Post by Diamond(imported) »

I think we shouldn't put new things in the game,
if people really want to know where Denjuu comes from, they will just go to wikipedia !
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Just wondering but in regards to the title screen, instead of "Mobile Phone-Beast" wouldn't "Cellular Monsters" be more appropriate?
Diamond wrote:I think we shouldn't put new things in the game,
if people really want to know where Denjuu comes from, they will just go to wikipedia !
Yes! Someone agrees with me.
Diamond(imported)

Post by Diamond(imported) »

wrote:Just wondering but in regards to the title screen, instead of "Mobile Phone-Beast" wouldn't "Cellular Monsters" be more appropriate?
I thought about that but I think it makes it look like some complicated microbiology life form.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Well, cellular monsters always puts me in mind of monsters that are made of cells, which isn't the right idea... :/ Besides, Mobile Phone-Beast is about as close to the original pun as you're going to get, so what's the problem? :V

I shouldn't have brought this up at all... *sigh* Anyway, I only gave that line as an example, and I'd still want to think about how to word it before actually putting it in, so you don't need to get so upset... D: "Electric monsters known as Denjuu" is still a weird way of wording it, though, since it's just a translation. D: Like "cats known as Neko".

I guess I'm still kind of lost on what you think Denjuu translates to...? You know it's possible for it to mean something on its own and be part of a joke, right? >_>;
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

I always thought denjuu was a word on its own. It can be part of a pun as well, i'm sure. Denjuu translates to 'electrical beast' literally, but I do wonder about putting the word 'electric monster' in the game since it might remind people of the bootlegs since they translated the word denjuu literally.... Personally I don't have any problem with them being called Denjuu, i'm sure other people won't mind either since it is the correct term for the monsters in the game.