Re: Telefang 1 english logo

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Urk... I definitely liked it better with the higher-up g...

I don't know why people equate "dead-straight and boring" with "official-looking", except that maybe we've gotten used to official logos looking lame. :P

If you look at logos for stuff like Pokémon they definitely make them more interesting by having the letters different sizes/levels. Another example would be the original Digimon logo with the jaggy letters and monster face in it.

I don't want to offend anyone, but my strong personal feeling is that the logo is getting less cool and iconic with each new rendition!
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

DeKaFu: It's because latin script is designed to look best on a continuous baseline, since many of the capital letter forms are written with strokes parallel to the baseline. Katakana doesn't do this, as many katakana have strokes at an angle to the baseline. So katakana looks more visually interesting, but if you were try to replicate the original disjointed look of the katakana logo with roman script it looks hard to read. That's why it looks better to have the whole word on a single consistent typographical baseline.

That being said, the logo still can be tweaked, and needs tweaking, but I'd have to say it's in pretty good shape.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

I think you misunderstood me... I wasn't talking about katakana at all. Both the examples I gave were using latin characters.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

I think the reason the logo was jagged before was because everyone was still working out the tile space arrangement at the time so they could only fit the letters to the shape of the katakana for Telefang. Although it's more dynamic, it is a little hard to read and the straight letters are a little clearer. I'm guessing it's also what an english logo would have looked like if Telefang had ever been translated professionally by a game company (sadly, we'll probably never get to see that :( ).
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Well, the flattened version with the elevated G has grown on me, but the one with it flush with the others is still painful for me to look at... It's not just dull, it's unbalanced.

I'd be curious to see if making the G as tall as the T would help with that.

wrote:I'm guessing it's also what an english logo would have looked like if Telefang had ever been translated professionally by a game company (sadly, we'll probably never get to see that :( ).
If the game had been translated professionally, they would've changed (or just plain gotten wrong) all the Denjuu names and probably some of the terminology because they couldn't be bothered (or just didn't have time in their production schedule) to research all the plant-related stuff like we did. I've seen stuff like that again and again.
We're holding ourselves to higher standards than they would've for the rest of the game. Why fall down here?
Diamond(imported)

Post by Diamond(imported) »

I think we need to take our time on this logo,
since everybody as different opinions on how it should be.

Maybe we should show different versions, with the g in the air, g aligned and other stuff.
Do you see what I mean ?
like 10 different logos or more.

So that everyone can choose wich one is best.

What do you think ?
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

The letters on those are a little elongated and stretchy personally, and they're more designed to fit around the shape of the katakana symbols (which was originally because of the tile space restriction, I believe).
telefangfan(imported)

Post by telefangfan(imported) »

I'd leave "keitai denjuu" untranslated too
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Hmm, how's this look for a compromise on the G? I just messed with it in paint so I don't know how well it would fit... :V