Re: Telefang 2 Translation?

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Normmatt(imported)

Post by Normmatt(imported) »

Some of your might remember me as PmHacks, I was the one who did the old shockingly bad translation a few years ago (6 years ago iirc). I recently came across this forum again and started work on a Half Width Font hack, So far its going good.

As you can see its working, and so far I haven't experienced any issues other than the fact that I've disabled the red text coloring for now as it was pretty badly coded by the original programmers. The text limit has been increased from 30 to 48 with room to expand it out more (i think there is room for another 8x16 block if the text box is expanded) if required.

I'm curious if anyone would like to translate the text for this game as the hacking work shouldn't be 'that' hard from this point on.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

\o/
Awesomeness!

I think that first we should merge the old patch with this one, then focus on translating more things (if someone will be willing to)..
After all, we could use some more activity.

I guess the battle font is still the same..? Did you do anything with the small menu font? I remember it being the same as the battle one, yet I was unable to find it in the ROM..

This is just great though. Finally you we got rid of the dreaded big font! Good work.

[I propose sticky as the new main T2 translation patch topic.]
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Wow... This is really cool, and if I wasn't so freaking busy lately I'd be all over this. XD
Though, would it be possible to just get the battle system and names finished for now? I dunno how much the old patch did, but it seemed kind of engrish-y...
If we could get the battles and menus working and translated perfectly, that would be enough to make the game playable for a lot of people. *nod* (That's pretty much where I stand with the T1 patch as well, I'd rather we sort out the font and core game stuff first before working more on the story...)
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Kimbles wrote:Though, would it be possible to just get the battle system and names finished for now? I dunno how much the old patch did, but it seemed kind of engrish-y...
I'm pretty sure the old patch has *every* battle text translated, along with Denjuu and move names (though I believe these are shortened). It was pretty playable.

Normmatt has suggested that he might try some hacks for the battle texts, too. Along with uncompressing menu stuff.

Edit: for future reference, the old threads: 1 (move translations) 2 (items and stuff) 3 (speed)... and that's about it..
Normmatt(imported)

I took a look at the decompression routine, its very large and would take far too long to convert to another more portable language so i think i'll just read the decompressed data straight out of memory and then recompress it in lz77. I've already done a quick proof of concept for the small text in the main menu.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Nice.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Wow, this is awesome. This might encourage me to go back to doing this... again. Will the red text ever be re-coded back in eventually? And will the text boxes in battles and menu screens be resized? 8-character limits for a lot of things is a huge pain to work with... everything is abbreviated and looks sloppy.

Maybe I'll do something next week... as of this moment I've been stressed out at things in real life, so I'd rather do it when I feel calmer...
Normmatt(imported)

Blaziken257 wrote:Wow, this is awesome. This might encourage me to go back to doing this... again. Will the red text ever be re-coded back in eventually? And will the text boxes in battles and menu screens be resized? 8-character limits for a lot of things is a huge pain to work with... everything is abbreviated and looks sloppy.

Maybe I'll do something next week... as of this moment I've been stressed out at things in real life, so I'd rather do it when I feel calmer...
Eventually, but its not as easy to replace the 8x8 font stuff with a vwf as the tile positions aren't static.

The character limits themselves shouldn't be hard to hack but displaying more than 8 will be.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Normmatt wrote:
Blaziken257 wrote:Wow, this is awesome. This might encourage me to go back to doing this... again. Will the red text ever be re-coded back in eventually? And will the text boxes in battles and menu screens be resized? 8-character limits for a lot of things is a huge pain to work with... everything is abbreviated and looks sloppy.

Eventually, but its not as easy to replace the 8x8 font stuff with a vwf as the tile positions aren't static.

The character limits themselves shouldn't be hard to hack but displaying more than 8 will be.
The problem with character limits I found in T1 was that your denjuu is automatically nicknamed by it's species name (e.g. CRYPTO is nicknamed CRYPTO). The nicknames themselves have character limits, which was a major stumbling block when I last attempted to increase the character limits. It is likely that the same thing happens with T2.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

IIRC, only Diamond/Jade auto-nicknamed your Denjuu; Power/Speed lets you nickname your Denjuu just like in a Pokémon game. But you're right in that in the original games, there was a 6-character limit. But few Denjuu had names that long anyway, the only one that I remember offhand was Firekokko, where it was shortened from ファイアーコッコ to ファイアーコ. And Telefang 2 doesn't have that problem at all, there is no character limit at all.