Re: Telefang 1 Sprite Revamp Project

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I've been working on this for a while, it's still not finished but I've picked it up again recently and figured since I've got 100/174 Denjuu redrawn that it'd be a good time to make the updated patch available!

The patch should work on all versions of Telefang 1 (Power, Speed, Diamond, with the translation patch, with the SGB border patches, etc) and replaces Denjuu sprites with redrawn ones in an attempt to match their official artwork better. Palettes have also been changed in some cases.

Some examples:
Image Image Image Image

http://telefang.meowcorp.us/revamp/TelefangRevamp2.ips - LAST UPDATED: March 6 2012
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Awesome! :D

I plan to try this out as soon as I get a chance.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Been poking at this again, replaced some sprites I'd already done and added a few new (haven't updated the patch link yet though.)

Starters/rivals:
Image Image Image Image
Fungus looks a bit too big compared to the others... might resize him if it annoys me too much.

Miscellaneous:
Image Image
Nigella is new, Lapeirousia is tweaked slightly to match color art better. (don't remember if it was in the uploaded patch tho so it may be new to that one?)
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Hmm.. Sorry about this but I feel the need to interject. Following the official art is all well and good, but the previous Crypto and Fungus sprites you made were alot more dynamic in pose and looked better as a result.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

They were from official art too, and I did like them, but it was bugging me how much they differed from all the other sprites :/ It's still a WIP anyway, I'll probably continue to change stuff for a while.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

I'm glad you've decided to keep doing it. I remember first hearing about your patch in a Youtube video by Myrleinocchi. I remember Oshe's sprite being the small one from Telefang 2 at first. I wonder why Natsume didn't make use of the colours that looked more like the official art? From your sprites, it seems like they could have spruced up some of the sprites' colour quite a bit.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Yeah, I'm tweaking colors as I go (I even changed Angios and Gymnos's colors, subtle but it's there.) I'm not sure they actually knew what colors they wanted Denjuu to be at first though, think about the proto screens :P
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

It makes me wonder when they finalised the official art for the denjuu. I wonder if Oshe was originally green in the concept art? Unless they just felt like making his sprite green? I don't understand that xD
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I've added a new version of the patch to the first post, figured since the previous one was like a year old it might be a good idea... >_>

Also, if anybody is interested in seeing my progress list: http://telefang.meowcorp.us/revamp/t1revamp.txt
(X is "done for the moment", R is "replace later", blanks are unchanged as of yet)

Newest as of upload~
Image Image
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Gonna try to stream spriting Ghosboar - http://www.livestream.com/racieb

Done, here's the recording~ Spriting Ghosboar