Re: Telefang SGB Borders

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

For some reason, Telefang has SGB borders but its header flag suggests otherwise (meaning they aren't shown in the majority of emulators, or even on a real Super GameBoy.) So, here's a patch that turns them on!

Note that this may cause a blank screen in SGB mode and SGB2 may have to be used, it possibly depends on the emulator. I don't know if this was a mistake on Smilesoft's part or not (it's literally changing an 00 to an 03 in the hex) or the blank screen bug caused it to be removed... very curious as to what this patch would do if it was dumped on a cartridge and played on a SGB.

Image Image

EDIT: I've tweaked the patch to fix the header checksums (so it can potentially work on a real GameBoy.) This makes one patch for each version since their headers are slightly different.
EDIT2: Also I'll note that you may have to hard patch in order to get it to work. Auto/soft patching seems to have no effect, at least as tested in VBA (perhaps because it's only header changes?)

http://telefang.meowcorp.us/TelefangSGB2fix-Power.ips
http://telefang.meowcorp.us/TelefangSGB2fix-Speed.ips
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I tried this in both TAS VBA and VBA-M, using both SGB and SGB2 settings, and it appeared to have no effect. And yes, I had Automatic IPS Patching checked. What's up with that?

EDIT: I hacked this myself by changing byte 0x146 and it seemed to work. It had the white screen effect in both SGB and SGB2, but VBA lets you change monochrome palettes and that seemed to do the trick. (Also in most cases, the SGB lets you change the palette too.)

EDIT 2: I also noticed that, prior to the white screen, the logos are actually colored! So it takes advantage of the SGB's color capabilities too!
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I patched the files directly (didn't soft patch) and I'm using VBAlink (thse are VBA screenshots this time.) I'll try it in the other emus I downloaded and see how it looks.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Well, I managed to find this in Tile Layer Pro:

http://oi54.tinypic.com/t7ogw2.jpg

You need to go to View -> Format -> SNES to see it. So the graphics for the SGB border are there! I never noticed because in Game Boy mode, it's much more obscure... Also, I took a quick look at the same ROM bank in XVI32 and starting at EBC8, there seem to be color palettes... this is probably for the SGB border and maybe even the gameplay itself.

EDIT: YES! EBC8 to EBCF determines the color palette from the title screen onward! Originally, it's FF 7F FF 7F FF 7F FF 7F which explains the white. Strangely, there are lots of color palettes afterward that appear to be unused, and when I edit the used color palette to one of the unused ones, most of them look like default Super Game Boy palettes (which I believe there are 32 of IIRC, although there are definitely more than 32 palettes in this space). I'll rip all the palettes soon by hand eventually... but for now, I have a patch!

Image Image

I decided to use the color palette from EC30 to EC37, because it's very similar to the default SGB palette for games that have no SGB enhancements (although I may consider changing this in case anybody wants to play this on a real SGB, because this palette is redundant). If nobody likes it, I can change it if you want.

Really, though, Smilesoft could have done so much more with SGB... for example, the status bar on bottom could have had a separate color (since it's static), the Denjuu in battle could have had their own colors, as well as the HP/DP bars, maybe some other static screens like the Picture Book and the phone itself could have had some separate palettes, and maybe even the intro! Oh well.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Here's some mockups I just made for potential palette swaps..

Image Image
Red for Power, Blue for Speed, kinda self-explanatory (pondering if the orangey-red would be better for Power though)

Image Image
Orange for Power, Red for Speed, based on the D-Shot lights in their corresponding SGB borders

EDIT:
Image Image
Comedy Option, Diamond and Jade inspired (though these are actually really pretty...!)
Snugglefox(imported)

Post by Snugglefox(imported) »

Oh my gosh these are so beautiful.
These are the best SGB borders I've ever seen.

I have tried my legit copies on an SGB2 I used to own, can't remember if the borders worked on that or not as I was focused on how bad the game looked and quickly put them back in the GBC (I'm guessing not by the contact of this thread)