So I was on GameFAQs...

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
myrle(imported)

Re: So I was on GameFAQs...

Post by myrle(imported) »

... and I've noticed them putting stars next to FAQs/guides/reviews/etc, apparently for deeming them as good, informative, and recommended viewing.

Someone please tell me why this got a star. :blink:

I understand that not everyone likes the game but... that review seriously got a star?
Same goes for this EarthBound review. "Replay Value | -500/10"? Who's in charge of this, and what are they smoking?
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

myrle wrote: ... and I've noticed them putting stars next to FAQs/guides/reviews/etc, apparently for deeming them as good, informative, and recommended viewing.

Someone please tell me why this got a star. :blink:

I understand that not everyone likes the game but... that review seriously got a star?
Same goes for this EarthBound review. "Replay Value | -500/10"? Who's in charge of this, and what are they smoking?
Yeah, I noticed that. Not only that, but it's the ONLY Telefang review to get one star! I think stars are determined by the users (they have the ability to give reviews positive ratings), and not the site itself, so someone obviously agreed with the review (sadly). Worse than Superman 64? That's harsh words, considering that I've heard REALLY bad things about Superman 64. And that review was really bad... a lot of the complaints only apply to the bootleg game. Example (under the Graphics section):

"The title screen is also crap. It is what seems to be like an enhanced version of a Dragonair just sitting there with 3 diamonds, and the ''Pokemon'' text looks like the normal yellow text with a black outline. You can tell right there its fake."

Obviously he doesn't know it's a hack of Telefang, and thinks it was made from scratch.

Besides, he doesn't really elaborate why he says the aspects of the game are bad. All the sections are like a couple of sentences long, and I laughed when I read the part about the sound. And 1/10? Give me a break. Bootleg or not, it doesn't deserve a 1/10.

As for Earthbound, I've never played it and I don't know anything about it (other than the fact that Ness is in it, who I'm not good at in SSB/SSBM), so I can't give that review a fair opinion. Then again... I've heard good things about it, so the review probably is bad...
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Stuff like that is exactly the reason I made my site in the first place, I get so tired of hearing "ISN'T THAT THAT POKéMON RIPOFF?" People linking to TRR when talking about Telefang bugs me for the same reason, as their "review" of it consists of mocking screenshots and "the intro is TEN MINUTES LONG" (no it isn't.)
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, I thought their "review" was stupid too. The intro is 10 minutes long? It's 4 minutes long, and you don't even have to read it if you hold A+B at the same time (which makes the text go really fast and makes it 2 minutes long). I also noticed a screenshot caption that read:

"Turtle-san and friends. Sheesh, 27 minutes into the game, and still nothing has happened."

Yeah... either the person making the screenshot sat for a long time doing nothing, or set the time to 00:25 or something. Yeah.

Also, the person who ranted about the game didn't initially know what it originally was:

"I wonder what this game was originally supposed to be... obviously this is not an original creation. More than likely this was a Japanese exclusive video game, and someone tried to translate it (badly) to make a quick buck."

And speaking of the screenshots, it seems like he hadn't played the game for more than 15 minutes. He didn't get very far, after all...

By the way, one of the screenshots is weird... in the Chinese ROM that I found, the title screen is COMPLETELY different from the one on the TRS site:

What is up with that?

Lastly, like the aforementioned review, pretty much all the complaints are only true in the bootleg. Such as the first screenshot. That snake thing is WEIRD, though...
lapeirousia19(imported)

Post by lapeirousia19(imported) »

Blaziken257 wrote:
"Turtle-san and friends.

What on earth is turtle-san???
StellarWind(imported)

Post by StellarWind(imported) »

I think they're referring to Musa. XP
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I wonder where TRS came up with the name "turtle-san" anyway...
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

They probably just thought it was funny.. not like they bothered to figure out his real name anyway.
StellarWind(imported)

Post by StellarWind(imported) »

Well, his sprite makes him look like some kind of turtle, and he's like an old wise man so the -san honorific... They're just a bunch of Japanese wannabes, the lot of them. >>
Kid Sonic(imported)

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

Blaziken257 wrote: Yeah, I thought their "review" was stupid too. The intro is 10 minutes long? It's 4 minutes long, and you don't even have to read it if you hold A+B at the same time (which makes the text go really fast and makes it 2 minutes long). I also noticed a screenshot caption that read:

"Turtle-san and friends. Sheesh, 27 minutes into the game, and still nothing has happened."

Yeah... either the person making the screenshot sat for a long time doing nothing, or set the time to 00:25 or something. Yeah.

Also, the person who ranted about the game didn't initially know what it originally was:

"I wonder what this game was originally supposed to be... obviously this is not an original creation. More than likely this was a Japanese exclusive video game, and someone tried to translate it (badly) to make a quick buck."

And speaking of the screenshots, it seems like he hadn't played the game for more than 15 minutes. He didn't get very far, after all...

By the way, one of the screenshots is weird... in the Chinese ROM that I found, the title screen is COMPLETELY different from the one on the TRS site:

What is up with that?

Lastly, like the aforementioned review, pretty much all the complaints are only true in the bootleg. Such as the first screenshot. That snake thing is WEIRD, though...
What do you know, it's Pikachu.