Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sorry for both double-posting and for skipping a version, but I would like to present my first asm hack.

Power Version Patch v22:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0mzmqzrljlm

The default name is now "Shigeki". Not "Bek", or "Shi", but "Shigeki". I have cracked the 3-char limit. My code bounces around the place but it does the required job.

If there are any problems with the patch then let me know.
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Wow omg. Hahaha this is great :D
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Oh my, that's great!
You're a quick learner O:

How did the code work and what did you do to fix it? I'm curious XD
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I'm really curious to how you did that. Was it just one byte that you changed from 3 to 7? Or was it something more complicated? I'll try the patch a few hours from now when I have time! And what do you mean by "My code bounces around the place but it does the required job"? Is it glitchy at all?

Now I wonder if you can figure out how those tiles are compressed...

Also, I think there was some character limit in the Japanese version when you look at a Denjuu's moveset. In Diamond/Jade, this says "Strategy" and somehow the bootleggers extended the character limit from the Japanese version (I think it was originally 6). Think you can figure out how to extend the limit to 8?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote:I'm really curious to how you did that. Was it just one byte that you changed from 3 to 7? Or was it something more complicated?
More complicated. I did have a number to change, but that took no time at all, making the game write the rest of the name was the more difficult part.
Blaziken257 wrote:And what do you mean by "My code bounces around the place but it does the required job"? Is it glitchy at all?
Basically the assembly code temporarily writes a letter to "a" (2 bytes), loaded whatever was in "a" into ram (3 bytes), repeated this for each letter, stored the limit number into ram elsewhere, and then called a function. So I replaced the 3-byte code to write the letter "i" to ram with a "call" to a function I wrote to finish off the rest of the letters (including the "i"). The function ran out of room though, so I wrote half of the letters and then jumped elsewhere in the code to finish the rest and then used "ret" to finish the function and continue the code from the byte after the "call" instruction I used. That's what I meant by "my code bounces around the place".

My terminology sucks. Sorry.

Anyway I should be able to give a better explaination when I have my working files in front of me.
Blaziken257 wrote:Now I wonder if you can figure out how those tiles are compressed...
I am not quite sure how to do that just yet.
Blaziken257 wrote:Also, I think there was some character limit in the Japanese version when you look at a Denjuu's moveset. In Diamond/Jade, this says "Strategy" and somehow the bootleggers extended the character limit from the Japanese version (I think it was originally 6). Think you can figure out how to extend the limit to 8?
Woah! One thing at a time. I am still learning so don't expect any miracles as of yet.

If there is anything I would want to attempt it would be the Denjuu names, but it might be a while before I can make sense of that one.
phoenixclaws(imported)

Post by phoenixclaws(imported) »

Sweet work. I always wondered about the games that the infamous hacked versions came from.
I just tried this on a PS2 emulator called PS2InfoGB and it works very well. :)

I see there are some dialogs in the first village missing.
Like the guy in the house with a lot of dialog and the guy in the upper right corner of the same map.

Beat the first village though and played around with the next one and beat some other stuff.

Kinda easy but fun :P.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Thanks, I'm glad you like the translation we've been working on! And you're not the only one who mentioned that some people haven't been translated yet. Those two people are located in a different ROM bank from everybody else in Toronko Village, so... yeah. But it's being worked on...
phoenixclaws(imported)

Post by phoenixclaws(imported) »

Ah sweet stuff. Thanks for the info and I'll be eagerly awaiting the team's continued improvements.
I wish more games that didn't make it to the states could get the same treatments too.

*like the other Robopon games* :P
Only the Sun version made it here in the states.

Keep it up guys and good work. :)
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

phoenixclaws wrote: *like the other Robopon games* :P
Only the Sun version made it here in the states.
There's more difference then some version exclusives? I never played the game past the second city.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

I managed to make the game to read Denjuu names from bank 77 instead of bank 75 in most cases and write up to twelve characters into ram. Unfortunately I have nothing to show you guys until I can get the game to actually write more than eight characters to the screen instead of just to ram. :(