Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

wrote:CSV specifically seems kinda messy to use for this, as the translations will certainly be using special characters like quotes, commas, semicolons and newlines a lot. Not just that, but it becomes a mess to look at in text form. I'd prefer something that looks clean so it more easily serves the people translating it.
CSV has special conventions for escaping characters. To escape newlines and commas or you need to contain them within double quotes ("). To escape a double quote you simply repeat twice within a quoted section. So..

"foo,""bar"""

...is literally interpreted as...

foo,"bar"

Parsing CSV correctly is a pita.

Then you delve into multibyte characters and things get complicated real quick.
wrote:It's readable in any text editor by anyone wanting to translate, and it seems easy enough to parse, right? It's even Markdown compatible. And untranslated lines could just have a little dash inserted or something.
How does the interpreter know when the Japanese text ends and the English text begins? Or is there no instance of double line-breaks in the script?
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

wrote:How does the interpreter know when the Japanese text ends and the English text begins? Or is there no instance of double line-breaks in the script?
I went in with the assumption that there isn't any (I know, I made an assumption :P), or that it wouldn't be useful to the game in the first place.

Anyway, I don't really have a problem with csv anymore, especially now that I've seen more about disassemblies and also how simple the resulting csv files look. It's going to be easy enough to edit them whether the user wants to work with a spreadsheet or with the raw text, and there don't really seem to be many exceptions in formatting that would complicate things much. (The newline thing still needs to be looked at.)
Imaynotbehere4long

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

What happened to the monthly updates? Don't tell me this died again! u_u

EDIT: Maybe if you changed your desktop background to text that says "DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE TELEFANG TRANSLATION," that would help you remember? ...I know I'm not much help; I'm just spit-balling ideas.

Remember that, no matter what, all of you will at least have my support; all I ask is that you let me know how things are coming along every so often.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

Update: none. :P

Things have been so busy it wasn't even on my mind, simply put. I have a little bit of time now though...
Imaynotbehere4long

Anything new since last time? I noticed that the patch was uploaded to RHDN; has the update thread also moved there?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Someone else submitted it to RHDN, it wasn't us. At least I don't think it was us (I may be making assumptions here). Discussion regarding the patch is still here regardless.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

wrote:At least I don't think it was us (I may be making assumptions here).
I'm thinking we might need a better channel of discussion and decision making. Or just put everything anyone does at any point in a thread (this one or another). :P

Regarding the translation effort itself: I don't even have much time or energy to give it much thought at all, and it'll be like that for the time being. Really hoping that in time someone else could pick up more translation as well.
Imaynotbehere4long

I will say: personally, I'd prefer if you posted updates on this thread because this is where I check for updates (even if all you say is "we're moving updates to [link],")
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

Well, there's a difference between general updates and actual discussion/decision making on stuff. :P I'm not sure this place is frequented all that much, but then again, any other system that would be set up to keep track of who is doing what and when wouldn't really see any more frequent usage either, I think.

Oh, also, my update: real life is just taking a lot out of me, so nothing is really happening on my side atm.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

DaVince wrote:Really hoping that in time someone else could pick up more translation as well.
Sadly enough you were that "someone else". You're our last hope Obi-Wan Kenobi DaVince.