Re: Unused locations

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, most of you may know about the unused Human World in Telefang. However, there are a few other unused places, that, while not as major, are still interesting to know.

First, there are unused, duplicate maps of Golaking's room. There are four of these, and while three of these are actually used with one or two used acres, one is completely unused and inaccessible. Just observe:

This is a map of the room where you find Teletel/Dendel at the end of the game (it's in the cave in the water just south of Flaura Village). While this bottom acre is used, the rest is just a duplicate of Golaking's room, minus the bottom part since it's replaced with Teletel/Dendel's room. This room has a hex identifier of 0x2E.
Spoiler!

(Sorry that I'm missing the Teletel/Dendel sprite here.)
The most interesting of the four duplicates of Golaking's room, this one is completely unused and inaccessible without hacking. Interesting to note that Potzal is here, but talking to him does nothing, and if there is a flag to make him talk, it is currently unknown (in RAM, flags start at address C500, so if anybody wants to experiment with that, be my guest).

When exiting this unused room, it takes you just outside of the cave where the boss Potzal is at, so maybe this was where Potzal was supposed to be. Or not...

This music is the same as Craft Research Center (music #07 in the sound test).

This map has a hex identifier of 0x2F.
Spoiler!
This room is where you press a switch to activate the Antenna Tree in Palm Sea. This is similar to the situation in Teletel/Dendel's room, in that there is a partial duplicate of Golaking's room. This room has a hex identifier of 0x30:
Spoiler!
This room is where you fight a Denjuu (It is one of Ganraikou's evolutions, IIRC) to obtain the second D-Shot. Since this used space is two acres high, only four acres of this map are duplicates of the acres of Golaking's room.

This room has a hex identifier of 0x31.
Spoiler!

Yes, I am aware that I'm missing a sprite here. Sorry.
It seems that they used Golaking's room as a placeholder for various things. Weird.

Oh, and since all maps are 8x8, there are also garbage acres too. They all look like this:
Spoiler!
They are simply corrupted versions of one of the acres in the 7th floor of Burion Ruins, so it's nothing special:
Spoiler!
BTW, I have no idea if Golaking actually appears in any of these maps. These maps were created from a save file that is not far in the game, so there's a possibility that there's some flag or something that makes him appear if he appears in his normal location. Somebody should look into this.

Now, another interesting tidbit: There's an unused mart and there is no way to get to it without hacking. Like all marts and houses, its map identifier (RAM address 0xC904) is 0x0B. Its map coordinate (RAM address 0xC906) is (0, 4), which is 0x04. Its acre (RAM address 0xC903) is 0x62. Here are the items that it sells:

When exiting it, it takes you right outside the cave for Sanaeba Research Center (in Ion Island). Perhaps there was supposed to be a mart there originally?

Another thing: There is text for at least one unused location in the game, located at ROM offset 0xAAB75 in the Japanese version. The text reads オーキッドなかのしま4さい. There is also a pointer to this text, at 0xAAB15. In the bootleg version, the offset is instead at AAAEC, the text reads "Orchid Island", and the text pointer is at AAA8B.

I wonder what this was originally going to be? Also, what does the Japanese text say? The fourth floor of the center of Orchid Island? (Yeah, my Japanese sucks.) So there was going to be an island with four (or maybe more) floors? Thing is, I don't know what map this was going to be at all, all I know is that there is text for it.

One last thing: There are two glitchy map locations, with hex identifiers 0x00 and 0x01. They seem to be test maps, and are just corrupted. Map 0x00 seems to use the antenna tree tileset, while map 0x01 seems to use the Craft Research Center tileset. No warps lead to these two locations, so they are unused; however, map 0x00 has a non-functional warp that leads to map 0x01 (It is non-functional because it is on a non-warpable tile), and map 0x01 has warps that lead to random locations in the overworld.

So... yeah. Questions, comments, anyone? I wonder what more people can discover...
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

This stuff is cool. XD And yeah, the text could be saying "center orchid island, fourth floor", implying that there are maybe other orchid islands around it, or alternatively that it's an island within an orchid (or a place called Orchid)... Kind of would need some context for it, sadly. *shrug*

Now I'm kind of curious, in the text dump there's one shop that says "you can't evolve with your current license" instead of "you can't evolve with your current evolution pass" (or some such) like all of the other shops do. D: I always wondered which specific shop that was for, but it would make a bit of sense if it was actually for the unused shop and they just never bothered changing it... *nod*
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, I guess we'll never know what that location was supposed to be without much context...

Also, this is what the guy says in the unused mart, I don't know what he's saying though...

Image Image
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

It says you can mod evolve your Denjuu there... I think it only says the other line when you try to evolve later-stage Denjuu early in the game, but I dunno at which points in the story it actually changes. D: The shop with the weird text seems to have mod evolution too though, so I guess that doesn't disprove it... *shrug*